Butter Biscuits Recipe
This recipe has been following me for years... I first discovered it in 2012 while in Sydney, selling at markets to raise money for the Hunger Project, and it never left my side. It is easy, and takes my mind off things enough to feel relaxed afterwards. And the cookies are truly delicious, so a win win for everyone!
Here it is :)
250g Butter at room temperature
110g White Sugar
320g Plain Flour
You can flavour them with some lemon zest or cinnamon
1. Preheat the oven 160°C
2. In a large bowl beat the sugar and butter together until soft and smooth.
3. Stir in the plain flour until you get a smooth paste, and the additional flavours too (whether the lemon zest or the cinnamon). Then turn onto your kitchen worktop and gently knead for about 5 minutes.
4. Roll the mix on on a silicon mat to 1cm thick. Alternatively you can use two sheets of cling firm. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
5. Cut the shortbread into your favourite shape. and place onto a baking tray. If it's really hot, then you chill in the fridge for an additional 15 minutes.
5. Place the baking tray in the oven and bake for around 15-20 minutes or until the shortbread biscuits are pale golden brown in colour. Cool on a wire rack.
Notes: Better cook at lower temperature for longer than the other way around. The ones in the photo are with cinnamon: we used 3 teaspoons, but next time will add a little more ;)