Polenta, Almonds & Blueberries Cake Recipe
One of the many aspects I love about running the Red Beetle is the incessant product tasting of new ingredients.. and old ones too. Trying products from all over Italy gives me the opportunity to experiment, but also add a whole new level of quality, flavours and personality to familiar recipes.
This here is a gluten free polenta cake, with almond meal, a recipe I've been wanting to try for ages. It features a new ingredient from @mulinomarino: an organic Polenta flour, that combined to the delicious almonds from Donna Francesca results in one fine cake.
Truth be told, the polenta flour does get a little lost and would recommend to use a "less precious" one for the cake. Although it does provide both great texture and consistency, it seems a little overpowered by the incredible almonds, the true hero of this recipe.
250g Unsalted Butter at room temperature
250g Fairtrade White Sugar
250g Ground Almonds
4 Eggs at room temperature
125g Mulino Marino Organic Fine Polenta
2 tsp Baking Powder
1 tbs of orange jam
1. Preheat the oven to 160°C.
2. Beat the butter, sugar and orange marmalade until white and fluffy.
3. Mix the almonds, polenta flour and baking powder.
4. Add a third into the butter-sugar mixture and 1 of the eggs. Combine well, then add the remaining two thirds and three eggs.
5. Beat until you get an even mixture, then spoon the mixture into a tin (we used a 20cm one) and bake in the oven for about 50 minutes at 160°C.
Monitor the cake throughout the baking. If the top turns brown too quickly, then lower the temperature. When the cake is cooked, a skewer will come out clean. Leave it in its tin to cool down. Serve with jam, cream or fresh fruit.